Mature Driver Program
- Contact Us
For more information about our program or to schedule an individual assessment, please call 866-332-0005.
Our team is available to:
- Speak at health fairs and community events
- Check how well personal vehicles "fit" drivers
- Provide personal crash risk assessment
The Mature Drive Program is a safety injury prevention program for adult drivers ages 55 and older. The program, which is a collaboration between Hillcrest Regional Trauma Services and the Texas Department of Transportation, strives to reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities among adult drivers.
Program topics include:
- The impact of aging on driving skills
- Traffic issues
- Driving behaviors of mature drivers
- Warning signs of an unsafe driver
- How to talk to a loved one about safety concerns
The Mature Driver Program offers several educational opportunties to help educate drivers and make them aware of potential hazards. The program cannot suspend or terminate a driver's license.
Older drivers are most likely to wear their seatbelts and not speed or drink and drive. But they are also more prone to be seriously injured or killed in a crash. These drivers can improve their safety by ensuring their cars are properly adjusted for them.
At a CarFit event, a team of trained technicians work drivers to ensure they "fit" their vehicle properly for maximum comfort and safety. Each CarFit check takes approximately 20 minutes to complete.
To scheduled an individual CarFit or to host an event, call the Mature Driver Program at 866-332-0005.
Developed by AAA and transportation safety researchers, the Roadwise Review measures eight functional abilities proven to be the strongest predictors of crash risks among older drivers.
To schedule an individual assessment, contact the Mature Driver Program at 866-332-0005 or complete an online assessment.
Roadwise Rx is an online tool designed to help drivers learn more about their medications and how they can affect driving. For a confidential medication review, visit www.roadwiserx.com.
- AARP | 888-227-7669
- TxDOT Highway Conditions | 800-452-9292
- Association of Driver Rehabilitation Specialists
- HelpGuide older driver safety
- www.eldercare.gov | 800-677-1116
- National Institute on Aging Information Center | 800-222-2225
- Texas Department of Aging & Disability Services | 800-458-9858