A medical geneticist is a physician who specializes in medical problems that have a genetic basis. Geneticists are physicians who completed additional training to see patients for prenatal, pediatric, cancer and adult genetics. Most geneticists see patients in the clinic or hospital.
People see geneticists for a variety of reasons. The most common reason is to find answers about the origins of diseases or traits in the family. Scott & White geneticists provide expertise and case consultations on multidisciplinary teams across several medical specialties, including:
Common genetic problems include:
- Advanced maternal age (>35)
- Family history of breast cancer, colon cancer
- Child born with birth defects
- Child with mental retardation or developmental delay
- Family history of cystic fibrosis
- Multiple miscarriages with a family history
- History of a chromosone abnormality
To schedule an appointment, complete our online appointment request form or call 254-724-3379
Your insurance carrier may require a referral through your primary care physician's office. If you are unsure about your coverage, please contact your insurance provider directly.