Top 10 Cancer-Fighting Foods
Good nutrition can have a positive effect on our overall health, but did you know some foods are known for their ability to help prevent cancer? Here are 10 of the top cancer-fighting foods, in no particular order.
1. Broccoli – Contains sulforaphane, which may help prevent cancer.
2. Orange and grapefruit juice – They contain flavonoids, which act as antioxidants that can inhibit cancer cell growth.
3. Soy – High soy diets may result in lower rates of breast, endometrial, and prostate cancer.
4. Tea – Green tea, especially, may inhibit digestive tract cancers.
5. Tomatoes – High in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant.
6. Beans – Some research suggests beans may help prevent prostate cancer.
7. Berries – Raspberries and strawberries contain ellagic acid, which slows the reproduction of cancer cells. Blueberries are richest in anthocyanosides, the most powerful antioxidants known to scientists.
8. Garlic – Contains cancer-fighting compounds, including diallyl disulfide, which appears to protect against skin, colon, and lung cancer.
9. Green leafy vegetables – Romaine lettuce, mustard greens, chicory, and Swiss chard are rich sources of antioxidants called carotenoids.
10. Whole grains – Contain anticancer compounds, including fiber, antioxidants, and phytoestrogens.
Sources: The Johns Hopkins Hospital & Health System and the Stanford Health Improvement Program and the YMCA (“Living Strong, Living Well”)