More than 100 Years of Excellence
Scarcely after railroad engineer Bernard M. Temple laid out the railroad yard in the Blackland Prairie eight miles east of Belton, Texas in 1881, a town formed around it. The town would one day bear his name.
On October 1, 1892, Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr., a native of Gainesville, Texas, began his career as the chief surgeon of the Santa Fe Hospital in Temple, Texas. He was only 27 years old. In 1895, Dr. Scott held a competitive examination for those who had applied for the vacant post of Santa Fe House Surgeon. Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr., of Cameron, Texas, scored the highest and was hired.
Because of their blossoming friendship and Dr. Scott's growing private practice, the two doctors entered into full partnership in December of 1897. The reputation of Dr. Scott and Dr. White grew rapidly. Shortly thereafter, they were approached by the What-So-Ever Circle, the Temple Chapter of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, a benevolent society, to work in association with their new hospital called King's Daughters Hospital. Dr. Scott and Dr. White worked with King's Daughters until 1904.
In 1904, Dr. Scott and Dr. White opened their own hospital, the Temple Sanitarium, in Temple. Later that year, they purchased and converted the abandoned St. Mary's Catholic Convent for use as a permanent hospital. This structure became the nucleus of a facility that would consist of 31 buildings scattered over five city blocks. On June 28, 1905, Dr. Scott and Dr. White and Business Manager Fred K. Stroop applied for a corporate charter for the Temple Sanitarium "for the study, prevention, relief, remedy and care of any and all human disorders and diseases." On June 23, 1906, Dr. Claudia Potter was hired at the Temple Sanitarium. She would become the first female anesthesiologist in both Texas and the United States.
On March 2, 1917, Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr. died of a heart attack. The partnership was changed on May 1, 1917, to consist of Dr. Scott, Sr., his brother-in-law, Dr. Marcel W. Sherwood, and Dr. George V. Brindley, Sr.
On the 13th of October, 1922, the name of the Temple Sanitarium was changed to the Scott & White Memorial Hospital. Another Scott & White first occurred on August 23, 1933, when the American College of Surgeons approved the institution as the first cancer diagnostic and treatment center in Texas.
Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr. died of a heart attack on October 27, 1940. The now-vacant position of President of the hospital was filled by his son, Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Jr.
The hospital entered another phase on December 23, 1949 when it was reorganized into the non-profit Scott & White Memorial Hospital and the for-profit Scott & White Clinic. The name changed again on August 15, 1950 to the Scott & White Memorial Hospital and Scott, Sherwood and Brindley Foundation. The institution was moved to its current location atop the hill in south Temple once known as Killarney Heights on December 15, 1963.
In 1997, Scott & White observed the Centennial of the formation of the private practice partnership between Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Sr. and Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr.
Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center
The beginnings of Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center are traced back to the vision of Arthur James Barton, pastor of Waco's First Baptist Church, in 1909. At the time Waco was a small town of less than 25,000 citizens. But the town was growing rapidly, and reports from a Waco Baptist Association meeting at the time asserted there was an "imperative demand" for a Baptist hospital in Waco. In 1912, the Waco Baptist Association appointed a committee to study the idea and appointed a board of directors, headed by James Martin Dawson, in 1915. The hospital received its charter in 1916.
Benefiting from generous money and land donations from Central Texas citizens and area churches, construction on the hospital began July 10, 1917, on 3.2 acres of land outside of Waco at what is now 30th Street and Herring Avenue. At the ribbon-cutting ceremony, John T. Harrington, President of the McLennan County Medical Society expressed hope that the new hospital would benefit thousands of families, and because of this the hospital may develop "the best surgical skill in the South."
Work progressed on the building despite the outbreak of World War I and the shortage of building materials. Finally, on May 20, 1920, the 65-bed facility officially opened its doors as Central Texas Baptist Sanitarium, having actually received and treated its first patient the day before when Mable Battle Westbrook was rushed in for an emergency appendectomy. The operation was a success, and already Hillcrest had begun to prove its value in responsive care for patients.
In 2010, Hillcrest joined Scott & White Healthcare to open a new, state-of-the-art 237-bed acute care facility in Waco.