Attend a Free Seminar on Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery
Take your first step in the Scott & White bariatric surgery program for weight loss by attending one of our free informational seminars (no registration or fee required). Each seminar features one of our surgeons who will explain bariatric surgery options, eligibility requirements and much more.
Our bariatric surgeons are based in Temple, Texas, but the seminars are conveniently offered in Temple, Killeen, Waco, Round Rock and College Station.
What to Bring to the Seminar
- Your medical insurance card
- Valid photo ID
- Pen and paper for taking notes
Please do not bring children to the seminar. This is time for adults only.
We typically cover the following topics:
- Obesity and its role as a growing health problem in America.
- Body mass index (BMI) and its use in calculating health risks related to excess weight.
- Co-morbidities, the serious medical conditions commonly caused by or associated with obesity that place patients' health and lives at risk.
- The balance between energy intake, energy output and the storage of excess energy as fat, which can lead to weight gain and obesity.
- Methods by which bariatric surgery can lead to safe, significant and sustained weight loss.
- The lifelong lifestyle changes needed for successful weight loss after bariatric surgery, including healthy diet choices, exercise and vitamin supplements.
- Realistic goals for weight loss.
- Eligibility requirements for weight loss surgery and the patient evaluation process at Scott & White.
- The specific benefits of the multidisciplinary team approach taken at Scott & White, and the important resources available at our bariatric surgery center of excellence.
- The three types of weight loss surgeries offered at Scott & White, including a discussion of the potential risks, benefits and alternatives for each procedure.
- The importance of complying with instructions before and for a lifetime after bariatric surgery.
- The improved quality and potential longevity of life with specific bariatric procedures, including our excellent results at Scott & White.
- Obtaining insurance approval and how Scott & White can help patients navigate this process.
We do not discuss specific patient medical history, health issues, eligibility for surgery or procedure selection during the seminar. This policy is out of respect for attendees' privacy, time constraints and federal regulations.