Medical Weight Management Program
Plan to join us at one of our FREE, no-obligation orientation sessions to taste the meal replacement product and get a better feel for the classes.
Please call us at 254-215-0329 or Email us
- Program Location
Center for Diagnostic Medicine
Scott & White Healthcare
1605 S. 31st Street
Temple, TX 76508
The Scott & White Medical Weight Management Program [MWMP] is part of the Cardionetabolic & Lipid Clinic services, Division of Endocrinology at the Scott & White Hospital -Temple. The MWMP is one of three related services offered by Scott & White that are centered on weight management and healthy living-the other two being Wellness and Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss. Our program has three key missions: Service, Research, and Education. Scott & White is one of the nation's largest multi-specialty health care systems and has been serving people residing in Central Texas for over 100 years.
The weight loss program’s initial enrollees started the program on January 21, 2010. This is a specialized program designed to safely facilitate rapid weight loss, while educating and empowering the participants with the necessary knowledge and awareness to suitably alter lifestyle permanently such that the initial weight loss achieved is maintained beyond the active enrollment phase of the program. Our team guides participants through a treatment plan, beginning with rapid initial weight loss and gradually transitioning to a regular healthy diet. This medically supervised program provides participants with the tools to achieve and maintain a healthier weight, and offers personal support and education.
Key aspects of the program
- Rapid weight loss of 2-5 lbs. per week if participants comply with the program protocol.
- Use of a medically formulated, very low-calorie [800 kcal/day] meal replacement beverage, along with fruits and vegetables.
- Periodic medical monitoring by clinic staff based upon prior risk stratification [high, intermediate and low risk strata].
- Weekly classes on evidence based nutritional and behavioral change methods, led by licensed professionals
Who ARE eligible?
- If you are 18 years or older
- If your body mass index is greater than 30 [in selected cases, those with a BMI > 25 with co-morbidities (illnesses)] may also be eligible to enroll in our program
- All prospective participants will need a referral to the weight management clinic [Endocrinology] before they can be enrolled into the program.
Who MAY NOT be eligible?
Individuals with serious medical problems as listed below:
- active gallstone disease
- inability to abstain from alcohol consumption/substance abuse
- post-cholecystectomy within 3 months
- any major surgery within 6 months
- congestive heart failure class 3 or 4 NYHA
- renal failure on any form of renal replacement therapy
- significant psychiatric illness
- anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa
Our program consists of foundation and on-going practice phases.
- 20 weeks structured meal plan using a meal replacement
- Medically supervised treatment
- Mandatory weekly classes, including measurements by licensed professionals and group process and education supported by the group coach
- Mid-week check-ins with the group coach
- This is a continuation of weekly classes that last for two to three months after the 20 weeks of Foundation Classes are completed.
- Classes are only mandatory for those participants that continue to consume four or more meal replacements per day, and those participants are only required to attend for measurements and some group process.
- Classes build upon the skills and strategies learned earlier in the Foundation phase and have a stronger focus on eating behavior.
Permanent lifestyle changes that can support health and weight management
- When a new group of participants starts, another 20 weeks of Foundation sessions resume. Any On-Going Practice participants wishing to continue for additional weight loss or group support can be a part of the new group
- After the first 20 weeks of Foundation classes, class continuation will be offered at a reduced rate
With a physician referral, the medical management portion will likely be covered by insurance. Participants pay for classes and meal replacements. There is cost savings associated with food expenses. Please contact us for details.