How do I know if I need to see an allergist?

Your family doctor will help you decide when an allergy consultation is appropriate. The most common allergic diseases, asthma and allergic rhinitis or “hay fever”, frequently can be treated by your family doctor. However, some patients will not respond adequately to common forms of treatment and will benefit by being referred to a specialist. If your symptoms are complicated by sinus, ear or chest infections, a referral is also often appropriate. Often simply knowing whether symptoms are due to true allergy or just an environmental sensitivity is important in choosing the correct treatment.