Lubiprostone (By mouth)
Treats long-term constipation by helping you have a bowel movement. Also treats irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in women who have constipation. This medicine is a stool softener.
AmitizaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to lubiprostone, or if you have a history of a stomach, intestine, or bowel blockage.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- It is best to take this medicine with food and water.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Take each dose with at least 8 ounces (1 cup) of water. Drink at least 6 to 8 full glasses of water every day to help soften your bowel movements.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, severe diarrhea, or a sudden change in bowel movements.
- This medicine may cause breathing problems, nausea, or severe diarrhea. Tell your doctor if your symptoms and condition do not improve within a few days, or if they worsen.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Nausea, vomiting, severe diarrhea, stomach pain or swelling
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Passing gas
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.