Antivenin (Latrodectus mactans) (Injection)
Antivenin (Latrodectus Mactans) (an-tee-VEN-in (lat-roe-DEK-tus MAK-tans))
Treats symptoms caused by a black widow spider bite.
Antivenin-SpiderThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to antivenin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or into a vein.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have a history of asthma. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to horses or any products that come from horses.
- Check with your doctor right away if you have discomfort, fever, itching, muscle aches, rash, or swollen joints or lymph glands anytime up to 12 days after you receive this medicine.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Discomfort, fever, itching, rash, swollen joints or lymph glands
- Muscle aches or cramps
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.