Iothalamate sodium I 125 (Injection)
Iothalamate Sodium I 125 (eye-oh-THAL-a-mate SOE-dee-um I 125)
Used as part of a medical test of the kidneys.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to iothalamate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. There is more than one way to test your kidneys using this medicine.
- You may need to drink a certain amount of water in the hours before this medicine is given. Carefully follow your caregiver's instructions about eating and drinking before this medicine is given.
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.You may also be given IV fluids at the same time you are given this medicine.
- Caregivers may take samples of your blood one or more times while your kidneys are being tested with this medicine. The blood may be taken from a vein in your hand, arm, or the bend in your elbow. Caregivers may place another IV site for collecting these blood samples.
- Caregivers may need to collect your urine during your test. You may need a urinary catheter. A urinary catheter is a tube that is put into your bladder to drain your urine into a bag. Your bladder is the organ where your urine is kept.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Redness, pain, or swelling where the needle is placed.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.