Replaces a lack of albumin in the body. Used in a surgery or medical emergency to treat many conditions, including shock, blood loss, severe burns, liver failure, and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Albumin is a protein that is normally made by the body.
Buminate, Albumin, Albuminar-5, Alburx, Albutein, Plasbumin-5, Albuked 5, Flexbumin, Albuminar-25, Plasbumin-25, Kedbumin, Albuked 25There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction when given albumin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of congestive heart failure, kidney disease, or anemia.
- This medicine is made from donated human blood. Some human blood products have transmitted certain infectious agents such as viruses to people who have received them. The risk of getting a virus from human blood products has been greatly reduced with required testing of all donated blood. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns about this risk.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark urine, decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Fever, chills, stomach pain, lightheadedness, fainting.
- Pinpoint red or purple spots under the skin.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.