Cevimeline (By mouth)
Treats dry mouth in patients who have Sjogren's syndrome.
EvoxacThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to cevimeline. You should not use cevimeline if you have asthma that is not well-treated, or if you have certain disorders of the eyes, including narrow-angle glaucoma and acute iritis.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often. Do not use more of this medicine than your doctor ordered.
- Drink plenty of water especially if you have increased sweating.
If a dose is missed:
- Use your medicine as soon as possible unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- Do not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store in a dry place at room temperature, away from heat and light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using beta blockers such as atenolol (Tenormin), metoprolol (Lopressor) or propranolol (Inderal).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have ever had kidney or gallbladder stones, or if you have ever had heart problems, including heart attack or a chest pain known as angina.
- Tell your doctor if you have asthma, bronchitis, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- This medicine may make your vision blurry. If this occurs, be careful when driving or doing anything that requires clear vision.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Excessive sweating
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Pain or burning when urinating
- Trouble breathing
- Uncontrollable shaking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Dizziness, especially when standing up
- Drooling or more saliva than usual
- Hot flashes
- Joint pain
- Red, itchy, or watery eyes
- Runny nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.