Zinc sulfate (By mouth)
Zinc Sulfate (zink SUL-fate)
Treats problems caused by a lack of zinc in the body.
Orazinc 110, Orazinc 220, Zinc-220There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to zinc sulfate.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Tablet, Lozenge
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- It is best to take this medicine on an empty stomach, 1 hour before eating a meal or 2 hours after a meal. You may take this medicine with food if it upsets your stomach. Tell your doctor if you are taking this medicine with food.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- Missing one dose is generally not a problem.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking penicillamine, tetracycline, or iron or copper supplements.
- Avoid taking zinc at the same time you eat whole-grain bread or cereal, bran, milk, yogurt, cheese, or ice cream. These foods can keep your body from absorbing enough zinc.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Upset stomach, vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.