Mupirocin (On the skin)
Treats skin infections. Belongs to a class of drugs called antibiotics.
Bactroban, CentanyThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to mupirocin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often.
- Mupirocin should not be applied to large open wounds or to burns.
- This medicine is for use on your skin only. You should not use in or around eyes.
- Wash and dry the treated area before application.
- Put a thin layer of the ointment on your skin. Rub it in gently.
- This medicine may be covered with a gauze bandage after it is applied.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to put the medicine on and skip the missed dose.
- Do not apply two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put anything else on the skin where you are using the mupirocin unless approved by your doctor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Talk to your doctor if your infection does not improve in 3 to 5 days.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe skin rash, burning, or itching that was not there before using the medicine.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry skin
- Mild stinging or burning where you put the medicine
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright 1984- Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.