Widely spaced teeth
Widely spaced teeth can be a temporary condition related to normal growth and the development of adult teeth. Wide spacing can also occur as a result of several diseases or continued growth of the jawbone.
Teeth - widely spaced
- Ellis-van Creveld syndrome
- Morquio syndrome
- Normal growth (temporary widening)
- Possible gum disease
- Sanfilippo syndrome
- Tooth shifting due to gum disease ormissing teeth
Ask your dentist if braces can help if the appearance is bothersome.
When to Contact a Medical Professional
Call your health care provider if:
- Your child's teeth or jaws appear to be developing abnormally
- Other symptoms accompany the appearance of widely spaced teeth
What to Expect at Your Office Visit
An examination of the mouth, teeth, and gums will be done. Other tests that may be done include:
Reviewed By: Paul Fotek, DMD, Florida Institute for Periodontics & Dental lmplants, West Palm Beach, FL. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc.