Head and Neck Cancer Care
First you’ll meet with one of the ENT doctors, and then we’ll meet with other head and neck specialists and present your case, discussing what is the problem; we review the radiographs with the radiologists; we review the path with the pathologists; and then the people who are involved in treatment have a discussion on what we’re going to do about this problem. And then we present that to you. And then you will choose which course of treatment you prefer.
Cancers of head and neck are very serious cancers, as they may affect your speech or your capability to eat normally, but they’re often curable. And we have the experienced and skilled team to clinically managage your head and neck cancer.
Wide-ranging knowledge and expertise are the hallmarks of our Head & Neck Cancer Program at Scott & White. Our multidisciplinary group of physicians has the specialized training and experience necessary to diagnose, evaluate and treat malignancies of the head and neck:
- Lip, oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancer
- Laryngeal and hypopharyngeal cancer
- Nasal cavity and paranasal sinus cancer
- Nasopharyngeal cancer
- Salivary gland cancer
Your aerodigestive system is complex and interconnected. Your upper respiratory system and your upper digestive system are intertwined and dependent upon one another. You’ll need more than one doctor to effectively care for these complexities.
The Scott & White Head & Neck Cancer Team includes multiple subspecialties collaborating to provide you the best possible care for your intricate aerodigestive system. Comprehensive, personalized care is our mainstay.
Your collaborative group of specialists and subspecialists includes:
- Surgical, radiation and medical oncologists
- Plastic and oral surgeons
- Pathologists and many other experts
. . . all working together to bring about cure.
Assisting your physicians is a specially trained staff of nurses, technicians and therapists. They’ll provide you with compassionate care throughout diagnosis and treatment. Their job is your restored health and improved quality of life.
It requires a multidisciplinary approach in order to effectively handle these complex cancers.
Comprehensive, Personalized Care
Sophisticated cancer care takes teamwork — the collaboration of a large group of specialists and subspecialists. That’s why at Scott & White you’ll have an Integrated Care Team dedicated to your care.
Your multidisciplinary team of diagnostic and interventional radiologists; surgical, radiation and medical oncologists — and many others — focuses on you and your care. And they do so in most cases in one location. Our physicians come to you.
Though you'll have a team of specialists and subspecialists overseeing your care, you'll have one lead physician. You'll know your doctor and your doctor will know you. Personalized care is the Scott & White way.
Your lead physician will take the time to listen to you and your concerns. The two of you will talk about your cancer and its effects on you and your loved ones.
In collaboration, your Integrated Care Team will meet to discuss your specific needs and determine the best treatment options for you to consider. Then your lead physician will talk with you about the team’s recommendations.
Together, you and your lead physician can then decide which treatment plan is right for you and your quality of life. You’ll receive an individualized treatment plan, customized just for you. Throughout your care at Scott & White, your team will meet regularly to discuss your care and revise your treatment plan based on your needs.
It’s all part of our mission to provide you with comprehensive, personalized care.
Proven Commitment to Excellence
Scott & White’s commitment to excellence in diagnosis, care and treatment is reflected in our ongoing efforts to provide a comprehensive, world-class Head & Neck Cancer Program:
- Nationally recognized radiation oncologists providing advanced forms of computer-guided radiation therapy that spares surrounding healthy tissue
- Nationally recognized ENT surgical oncologists with advanced training in your complex aerodigestive system
- Nationally recognized medical oncologists offering the safest, most progressive and effective chemotherapy protocols
- Progressive approaches in radiation and chemotherapy that help preserve the functional capacity of your aerodigestive system
- Outstanding imaging and pathology services
- Our diagnostic radiologists are nationally recognized in identifying tumors.
- Our board-certified pathologists are highly skilled at classifying and staging cancer; they’re experts at detecting markers that assist your care team in planning your treatment.
- A multidisciplinary tumor board of head and neck cancer specialists who share and discuss difficult cases and formulate patient treatment plans together
- Vitally involved in research and ongoing clinical trials, working with the Scott & White Cancer Research Institute, enabling us to offer you the most advanced care and treatment options available
- Convenient regional locations that make it easier for you to receive treatment without giving up an entire day
Find out more in: What to Expect from Scott & White