Endocrine Cancer Care
We promote a multidisciplinary approach to complex endocrine cancers. The advantage of multidisciplinary care is that you can come to one place to meet with your surgeon and have all your cancer care coordinated through our cancer center.
Endocrine cancer is a broad term for cancers of the endocrine system, which is primarily made up of glands in your body that produce chemical messengers called hormones. These hormones regulate various functions throughout your body.
Scott & White helps set the standard nationwide for the treatment of endocrine tumors. Your Scott & White Endocrine Cancer Team leads the way nationally in providing the most advanced surgical and radiotherapy treatment options available. In fact, our Endocrine Surgery Team pioneered surgery for adrenal gland tumors so patients can now experience less pain and blood loss, plus faster recovery times after surgery.
Breadth and depth of experience in the clinical management of endocrine tumors and malignancies is the hallmark of your Scott & White Endocrine Cancer program. Our multidisciplinary group of physicians has the specialized training and the experience necessary to diagnose, evaluate and treat the following endocrine tumors:
- Adrenal gland tumors
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia types 1 and 2
- Neuroendocrine tumors of the GI tract
- Parathyroid tumors
- Thyroid cancer
In general, cancers that originate in different parts of your endocrine system are diagnosed and treated differently.
For more information, please select from the endocrine tumors and cancers listed above.
Scott & White Physicians Are Leaders in the Field
- Terry C. Lairmore, MD, Endocrine Surgeon and Chief of Surgical Oncology at Scott & White, has a long-standing interest and national reputation in current advances in minimally invasive endocrine surgery. Notably he was the first to develop and perform robot-assisted removal of the adrenal gland through the back (posterior). He is a former Vice President of the prestigious American Association of Endocrine Surgeons.
- After performing more than 1,000 thyroidectomies as outpatient procedures, Scott & White Chief of Endocrine Surgery Samuel K. Snyder, MD, demonstrated that this was a safe and reasonable option for patients, with the potential for substantial health care cost savings. He was elected to the Southern Surgical Association, where he presented his landmark findings in 2009.
- Our diagnostic radiologists are nationally recognized for providing superior imaging and detection. We use the most advanced imaging systems available to precisely locate and evaluate your endocrine tumors safely and effectively.