Before Your Surgery
No Food or Drink After Midnight
Do not have anything by mouth after midnight before your surgery, unless instructed by your surgeon or anesthesiologist.
You may take approved medications prior to surgery with a small sip of water. You may not have:
- Tobacco products
We caution against eating and drinking after midnight, because it’s extremely dangerous to have anesthesia with something in your stomach:
- Food or liquids in your stomach may make you nauseous during surgery.
- You may throw up or aspirate into your lungs.
- You could get pneumonia or some other infection, complicating your recovery.
- Take a bath or a shower with antibacterial soap (such as Dial) or with the soap provided by the clinic before surgery.
- Do not put lotion on your skin.
- Follow any bathing instructions from your surgeon’s office.
- You may brush your teeth the day of surgery, but do not swallow any water.
- Do not shave any hair from your surgical site in preparation of your surgery.
Find out more about antibacterial skin cleanser.
What to Wear
- Wear simple, comfortable clothing that can be easily put back on over bandages and dressings.
- If you’re having surgery on the lower part of your body, wear clothing that is very loose in the waist and leg areas.
- If you’re having surgery on the upper part of your body (shoulder, breast, arm), wear loose clothing that buttons or zips; don’t wear clothing that pulls on over your head.
- You may wear your glasses, hearing aids or dentures (don’t use any adhesive), but you’ll be asked to remove them before receiving anesthesia.
What Not to Bring
- Do not bring any jewelry or valuables. Remove all body piercing ornaments.
- Do not wear hair accessories or arrange your hair where your head cannot lie flat.
- Do not wear contact lenses.
- Do not wear face/eye makeup or creams, if scheduled for eye, face or neck surgery.
- Do not wear nail polish or acrylic nails.
Your Personal Belongings
- Your personal belongings can stay in your room with your family.
- Your family may bring food from home or outside vendors to eat while they wait.
- For your family’s convenience, free wifi is available in your room.
If you develop a cold, persistent cough or fever, please cancel or postpone your surgery.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call 254-724-8595.
Si usted necesita un traductor, por favor llame para solicitar un mínimo de 24 horas de antelación.