Poisonous Plant Ingestion

Some plants are poisonous and can be dangerous or life-threatening to eat. You should not eat plants unless you are sure they are safe. Poisonous plants include but are not limited to:

  • Cherry, apricot, and peach pits.

  • Azaleas.

  • Caladiums.

  • Delphiniums.

  • Hydrangeas.

  • Buttercups.

  • Poinsettias.

  • Mistletoe berries.

  • Mountain laurel.

  • Rhododendrons.

  • Philodendrons.

  • Rhubarb leaves.

  • Lilies of the valley.

  • Daffodil bulbs.

  • English ivy.

  • Holly leaves and berries.

  • Jimson weed or thorn apple.

  • Potato sprouts, roots, and vines.

  • Jack-in-the-pulpit.

  • Mushrooms, especially Amanita varieties. Mushrooms can be very difficult to identify. Deadly mushrooms can look very much like edible ones. Do not eat a mushroom unless you can positively identify it.

SYMPTOMS

Problems after eating a poisonous plant can include:

  • Twitching or shaking (seizures).

  • Unconsciousness.

  • Drooling.

  • Restlessness or nervousness.

  • Large (dilated) pupils.

  • Difficulty breathing.

  • Vomiting.

  • Abdominal pain.

  • Hallucinations.

  • Dehydration.

  • Diarrhea.

  • Pain in the mouth and throat.

  • Difficulty swallowing.

  • Weakness or numbness in the arms or legs.

SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL CARE IF:

  • You believe a person has eaten a poisonous plant. Call your local poison control center for instructions. Call even if the person does not show symptoms.

  • You see that the person is unconscious or is not breathing. Call your local emergency services (911 in U.S.).