Poison Proofing

This is information about poison proofing your house. Children need protection from many common household products that are dangerous. Any of the following items could make your child sick if swallowed or inhaled:

  • Medicines of all kinds, including minerals such as iron, vitamins and herbal supplements.

  • Sprays - Cleaning mixtures or fluids, hair spray, perfumes, insect and weed killers.

  • Liquids - Soaps, mouth wash, nail polish remover, bleach, drain cleaner, fabric softeners, furniture polish, gasoline, turpentine, car care products and paint.

To avoid an accidental ingestion of these toxic products you should keep all your medicines and toxic products out of the reach of children. Do not leave them on counter tops, window sills, night stands or dressers. Children often look through purses for gum or candy and accidentally mistake medication for these items.

Keep your medicines completely out of reach and in their original containers for easy identification. Use child safety latches or locks on cabinets that contain dangerous cleaning products or other toxic substances. Also, keep alcoholic beverages out of reach and do not store any of these products in soft drink bottles. Keep them in their original containers.

If you discover a possible or likely poisoning, you can get immediate help by calling the National Capital Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.