Poison Ivy

Poison ivy is a rash caused by touching the leaves of the poison ivy plant. The rash often shows up 48 hours later. You might just have bumps, redness, and itching. Sometimes, blisters appear and break open. Your eyes may get puffy (swollen). Poison ivy often heals in 2 to 3 weeks without treatment.

HOME CARE

  • If you touch poison ivy:

  • Wash your skin with soap and water right away. Wash under your fingernails. Do not rub the skin very hard.

  • Wash any clothes you were wearing.

  • Avoid poison ivy in the future. Poison ivy has 3 leaves on a stem.

  • Use medicine to help with itching as told by your doctor. Do not drive when you take this medicine.

  • Keep open sores dry, clean, and covered with a bandage and medicated cream, if needed.

  • Ask your doctor about medicine for children.

GET HELP RIGHT AWAY IF:

  • You have open sores.

  • Redness spreads beyond the area of the rash.

  • There is yellowish white fluid (pus) coming from the rash.

  • Pain gets worse.

  • You have a temperature by mouth above 102° F (38.9° C), not controlled by medicine.

MAKE SURE YOU:

  • Understand these instructions.

  • Will watch your condition.

  • Will get help right away if you are not doing well or get worse.