First-Aid Measures in Poison Ingestion

A poison is a substance that is harmful to your body. The dangers of poison may range from short-term illness to death. Treatment of poisoning depends on the type of poison.

For poison ingestion concerns, call your local poison control center and follow their advice for home treatment or emergency care.

HOME CARE INSTRUCTIONS

  • Do not panic. Remain calm.

  • If you believe a person has ingested a poisonous substance, immediately call your local Poison Control Center for instructions. Call even if the person does not show symptoms.

  • If you have a poisoning emergency and the person has collapsed or is not breathing, call your local emergency service immediately (911 in the U.S.).

  • Know the following information:

  • The person's age and weight.

  • The container of poison or a description of what was swallowed.

  • The time of the poison exposure.

  • The address where the poisoning occurred.

  • Do not treat poisoning on your own.

SYMPTOMS

  • Lethargy.

  • Agitation.

  • Rapid or difficult breathing.

  • Fast heart rate.

  • Vomiting.

  • Diarrhea.

  • Trembling or shaking.

  • Sweating.

  • Drooling.

  • Loss of consciousness.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS

  • If the person has ingested petroleum products (gasoline, paint thinner, lighter fluid, etc.), or corrosives (acid or alkali), do not induce vomiting.

  • Keep medicine and toxic products, such as cleaning products, locked up.

  • Be aware that some house plants may be poisonous if eaten.

  • Always store medication and household products in their original containers.