Overdose, Pediatric

ExitCare ImageAn overdose is when a person uses too much alcohol, drugs, or medicine for their body to handle. An overdose may happen by accident or on purpose. The steps you take depend on if it was an accident or done on purpose.

HOME CARE

If your child's overdose was an accident, take these actions:

  • Put medicine and alcohol where a child cannot reach them.

  • Make sure all medicine bottles are child proof.

  • Tell your child about the dangers of alcohol and drugs.

  • Watch your child take their medicine.

  • Know what amount of medicine (dose) to give your child.

  • Keep a poison control phone number in place that is easy to see.

  • Be sure all people that watch your child follow these safety steps.

If your child's overdose was on purpose, ask a doctor for a referral to get your child help.

GET HELP RIGHT AWAY IF:

  • Your child seems sluggish, inactive, or is sleepier than normal.

  • Your child slurs his or her words.

  • Your child cannot be woken up.

  • Your child breathes slowly.

  • Your child has cold, clammy, pale, or bluish-colored skin.

  • Your child's breath has a very strong alcohol smell to it.

  • You think your child is going to hurt him or herself, or someone else.

  • Your child has problems that are getting worse.

MAKE SURE YOU:

  • Understand these instructions.

  • Will watch your condition.

  • Will get help right away if your child is not doing well or gets worse.