Nontoxic Ingestion

Your exam shows your ingestion is not likely to cause serious medical problems. Further treatment is not needed at this time. If you have vomited since your ingestion, you should not drink or eat for at least 2 to 3 hours. Then start with small sips of clear liquids until your stomach settles. You should not drink alcohol or take illegal recreational drugs or other mind-altering substances as this may worsen your condition. Sometimes the effects of drugs and other substances can be delayed.

SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL CARE IF:

  • You develop confusion, sleepiness, agitation, or difficulty walking.

  • You develop breathing problems, a cough, difficulty swallowing, or excess mucus.

  • You develop a stomach ache, repeated vomiting, or severe diarrhea.

  • You develop weakness, fever, or dehydration.