Hydrocarbon Ingestion

You have ingested a hydrocarbon chemical. Examples of these substances include:

  • Gasoline.

  • Kerosene.

  • Turpentine.

  • Paint thinner.

  • Charcoal lighter fluid.

  • Insecticides.

  • Liquid furniture polish.

Hydrocarbons can cause serious damage to your lungs, heart, nervous system, liver and kidneys. You do not require hospital care at this time. You should return for further treatment if you have breathing problems or other problems.

The most common problem is lung damage from the chemical. Signs that the liquid went down in the lungs include:

  • Shortness of breath.

  • Choking.

  • Coughing.

  • Gagging.

Other serious signs include:

  • Abdominal pain.

  • Vomiting.

  • Diarrhea.

  • Fever.

  • Confusion.

  • Sleepiness.

You should have someone with you for the next 24 hours to check on your condition.

Keep all hydrocarbon chemicals out of children's reach.

SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL CARE IF:

  • You develop a fever, breathing difficulty, persistent cough, chest pain.

  • You have repeated vomiting, abdominal pain, dehydration.

  • You experience unusual sleepiness, severe headache, confusion.