Anaphylactic Reaction

ExitCare ImageAn anaphylactic reaction is a sudden, severe allergic reaction. It affects the whole body. It can be life threatening. You may need to stay in the hospital.

HOME CARE

  • Wear a medical bracelet or necklace that lists your allergy.

  • Carry your allergy kit or medicine shot to treat severe allergic reactions with you. These can save your life.

  • Do not drive until medicine from your shot has worn off, unless your doctor says it is okay.

  • If you have hives or a rash:

  • Take medicine as told by your doctor.

  • You may take over-the-counter antihistamine medicine.

  • Place cold cloths on your skin. Take baths in cool water. Avoid hot baths and hot showers.

GET HELP RIGHT AWAY IF:

  • Your mouth is puffy (swollen), or you have trouble breathing.

  • You start making whistling sounds when you breathe (wheezing).

  • You have a tight feeling in your chest or throat.

  • You have a rash, hives, puffiness, or itching on your body.

  • You throw up (vomit) or have watery poop (diarrhea).

  • You feel dizzy or pass out (faint).

  • You think you are having an allergic reaction.

  • You have new symptoms.

This is an emergency. Use your medicine shot or allergy kit as told. Call your local emergency services (911 in U.S.). Even if you feel better after the shot, you need to go to the hospital emergency department.

MAKE SURE YOU:

  • Understand these instructions.

  • Will watch your condition.

  • Will get help right away if you are not doing well or get worse.